Thursday 20 November 2008

Aggro Wut?

Game is down again, will be trying again lat.

So anyway I was fresh out of ideas on what to talk about today so I went and surfed the friendly warhammeralliance forums and found a post on PvE aggro. So I thought I would lift my response directly from that and post it here.

Having played both MDPS and a Tank I've got this to say. MDPS have always seemed to take aggro off me more than any other class, possibly I just notice it more due to MDPS ability to get instagibbed without the mob having to run elsewhere. Anyway here are my tips.

Start slow, aggro usually builds a lot faster than DPS damage but it takes a good 5 seconds to get solid aggro, more if youve got multiple mobs. So I will always, if I engage at all in those 5 secs, only use auto-attack. Then start using abilities.



Ask your tanks for a guard, it will take some of the aggro off you and add it to themselves, most healers wouldn't want to stand next to a tank in PvE and are probably way outside the 30yd guard range. So don't waste it on them and ask for that guard on you, they can only say no right?

Don't expect /assist to work cause he will be tabbing between all the mobs he is tanking, it will either

a) be obvious which he is tanking cause its the only mob, or
b) not be obvious at all which he is tanking, in which case /assist the main assist. What do you mean you don't have a main assist?

Tanks make a terrible main assist, why? I hear you ask. I'll tell you. A tank needs to keep fairly even aggro on all mobs, possibly slightly more on the one you are going to kill first, why is this? Because healing creates aggro and if he doesnt hit every mob then every mob the tank isn't hitting goes after the healer.

So who makes the best main assist? MDPS because he has to do the most manouvering to get into position for doing the damage RDPS can hit pretty much hit everyone from everywhere. Same sort of theory as moving at the same speed as the slowest hiker. Healers are right out unless you want to be targetting the tank half the time. So that may mean you as a marauder!

So stay calm, choose a target and start hitting it (slowly at first), try to point yourself straight at it so that the tank can easily see which mob to tank most and then just DPS it down and move to the next.

Good luck and have fun!

PS: Remember, You can't do any damage if your dead!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I play a BOrc and guard mara or witch elfs. However If I have a DoK with me I guard them. With the AOE heals and dmg they create a shit load of aggro.

Nice write up.